Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Winter Typhoon (!?!) Mitag

We have typhoon Mitag just passing by. Yes, it is end of November, and the sea is obviously still warm enough. Not usual, but also not too unusual, people say. As visible, also some other tropical storms are around, Philippines seem to be really in bad position for this.
typh

I came in shorts and sandals to work today, but might equally well come in swimming suit. But it is rather cold, 20 cels, so at work I switched to jeans and socks, winter is coming, obviously!

As it was raining, I cooked my lunch at work. Since the last bean soup I had 2 potatoes, and if I did not walk them to walk out of our room, I had to cook them. So, unique chance of my potato-lunch, the 1st time here! It is rather unusual for someone from Croatia not to eat potatoes for half year or so, so these really deserve their position in my blog!
krump

Few pics from Taichung 2 weeks ago, as I downloaded now from "Treo".
It is 3rd city in Taiwan. Visible.
t1

Building which I already presented some time ago, but now from a different angle:
t1

Interior of these buildings is a bit hypertech.
t1

In Taichung, city of 1.5 million, there is no Metro or anything like this, buses are the only mean of public transport. But it works almost perfect, and rarely we had troubles to move around. Here is working place of one bus driver, I am always amazed how they are effective. There were 5 or so means of collecting the fare. Various types of cards added to cash fare payment. It works.
t1


I did some promotional work for Taiwan in Croatia: my croatian blog came on the cover page of largest Croatian blog 2 days ago (I am astrosailor there).
astros

Connected with the parliamentary elections in Croatia, I commented how a Croatian stucked here could not wote even if she/he would like, as the closest place to do so is Hong Kong consulate, where officials consider themselves "working in PR China, and they are responsible also for Taiwan, as this is the same country" (I am citing the official working there, with whom I spoke by phone in summer 2007). Croatia does not recognize Taiwan, even in unofficial manner as most of the countries, but really considers it a part of PR China. Legacy from Yugoslavian (=communist) times, probably, and I pointed to this stupidity in my Croatian blog. My comment was that Croatia should leave the decision about it to Taiwan people, not deciding for them a-priori. Croatia used its right for self-decision in 1991, when separating from Yugoslavia. How they can ignore such right of Taiwanese people, if and when they would like to institutionalize their de-facto independency of PR China. The same goes for Tibet. If we play democracy, let's obey the rules. If we play dictatures, be frank about it. Simple as that. Comments of people to my blog showed they agree with my opinion on this, simply, people in Croatia are not informed well about Taiwan. I hope my blog fixes it at least a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home