Saturday, November 24, 2007

Strange movie (for Taiwan) after midnight: "Everything is Illuminated"

Tonight, passing through the eternally ultimate stupid experience of TW TV channels, I stumpled upon some movie in Ukrainian. Not an often experience here. Trabbie (the car) and stilisation managed to attract me even if it was well after midnight. You know, such pictures I know from my own experience, not far from Ukrainian border, in fact, almost on it. Finally, I entered, some 13 years ago, the eastern Polish city of Bialystok atop old "Ukraina" bicycle, and entered it from the eastern side, didn't I!?
eisill


So, what I saw was pic like this:
p14

During the movie, it developed to
p11

Almost Kusturica style movie, I would say.

I did not see the beginning, so I did not know what's this for the movie, but I recognized the main actor as the one from Lord of the Rings, and searched for his list of movies on the web-I love this Alexandrian Library of Web! In fact, Wikipedia helps a lot, really, even if it is not of highest accuracy or impartiality, it gives a good hint usually, where to search, by attaching original links. This feature of Wikipedia I find especially useful, it forms complex world of informations-but it does not GIVE it on the plate, it demands the reader to have quite good orientation for himself. Knowledge exposed, in fact, I would say.

Here is about the movie from wikipedia. Wikipedia on the movie
Another good review of the movie is here:review
From this website I took the pics, the article is good also: article
Main characters in the movie (the dog is missing):
p07


It is, in essence, comedy passing to full-weight serious story about tragedy. It is about Jewish village in Ukraina, destroyed (and all the people killed) by Nazi in WWII. Jewish boy comes to find the place and person who helped, in time of his grandparents, escape. In his search he meets contemporary Ukraina, which is not so contemporary. Movie was shot in Czech Republic, btw. I suppose Ukraina was still rather too dangerous and odd place to go and shot the movie, for USA director. The fact says something for itself.

What crushes your peace, even sitting here in Asia, is that you realize how many people were killed in Europe in XX ct. in wars. And how much suffering there was, and is. And how it is amazing we are playing 'culture' for the world, and in fact, we are, really, this 'museum of culture' for the world. I am sick after such thoughts and would love to fly to Mars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home