Friday, March 30, 2007

Eurasia under me

Carewna, you were not right. This what they told you in Kaliningrad communist school some 30 years ago, is just an illusion. There exists Europe AND Asia. Now I checked by my own eyes, watching from the Jumbo jet of KLM on line Hong Kong-Amsterdam.

What mnakes them separate continents is not some Ocean of sea, but Ocean of rock, sand and grass. Or Tibet, Himalayas and Sybiria. Anything more needed?

Flying above the Tibet highlands, and then between the deserts Gobi and Takla Makan for hours, I realized this fact. I felt it as an Economy Class fact imprinted on my ass, when Tatars, Mongolians etc. felt it also on their back, but because of horse-riding. Not a big difference, really, only that mine was much faster.

Europe for a week is a good joke. Only joke, anything more. Here a scent of Warsaw at the end of (mild) winter.

I think this is my last pic of this oldtimer. It served us well. When I bought it, in summer 2000, it was already 13 years old, now it is to be 20. Even for 1987 Opel Kadett it is too much, especially after 350 000km and so many travels Potsdam-Croatia-Poland, later his "experiences" in Croatia as a 4WD on Pag, and even worst Athens and now Warsaw (where all the old cars from Germany go? To Poland! :-D ) . It was magnificent car. It still manages to eat freeway with 150km/h without problems. My bow, my friend! Good job!

Now comes a little of geography. Flying back from Warsaw, good weather and seat allowed to make some not too bad pics.
Polish-German border: river Odre

Sky over Berlin...river Spree with Alexanderplatz and TV tower, meeting of East and West Berlin captured. It remained in good memory to me.

Gross Glienicke and Sacrower see-only for locals :-)

A bit west from Golm

And I found it in Google maps, exact position, it is amazing how it is possible to locate your picture using Google satellite maps.

We are closing to Amsterdam, known piece of sea when landing for Schiphol, Google Maps helps, it is along A6, street is Ijsselmeerdijk, I located wind-mills :-). It is neer Lelystad and road N302 goes on this bridge in the sea. They really take the land off the sea, literally.

Lots of people goes into B747-400, it was full flight. Funny, I took this pic before boarding, older couple in the middle were my neighbours in seats for next 11 hours, they were flying further 11hrs, probably smwhere in Pacific.

Somewhere above Danmark

In fact, "somewhere" became 'where' with a bit help of Olaf, it is above Harbollebro, and the peninsula is at the peak of Falster-google maps is magnificent tool! Olaf says they call this all Lolland, so, this would be between Mol and Lolland islands.

Next to see was Bornholm and Ronne, nicely visible here. Thanks to googlemaps and peculiar multi-molo structure, I can be pretty sure it is really Ronne.


Funny, here I was biking centuries ago, Rugen in Germany

Kaliningrad Region, part of Russia encircled by new EU countries. I do not know what are these smokes, spring cleaning or what?

Thin thin thin and long sandy line in front of Kaliningrad region and Lithuania

Morning Tibet below me

Towards Himalayas. Few thousand kilometers of mountains. Incomparable with Alps, which are like one walley in this Ocean of peaks.

Hong Kong airport. Buildings piling up up up, like ghosts here

Nice trip. And even nicer to come back HOME. Yes, home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home