Sunday, July 16, 2006

Taiwan...full circle Part One. Jhuzinhu, Danshuei and Fulong.

As announced some time ago, I went to Ilha Formosa (=Beautiful Island) again. Thanks to the stars. And Sienny.

Except hard working (inevitable when Sienny is in question), I planned to close my circle around the island, to visit the southmost region, Kending, and Taitung. It turned so that I managed even a bit more. Classic Taiwan tour to Alishan, to observe the sunrise, and a Green Island tour, completed my experience of the island. Anything else than 'excellent' would be far from my feelings about it all.

As 1st, some comments about work: given such students as those with whom I was interacting in Taipei, everything is possible to do. Even when lacking more general picture, they surpass the troubles by good will and great effort, and eventually they do the task! Not the case always and everywhere, as we well know.

There was a lots of sightseeing this time, so let me divide it in pieces.

Some flight impressions, as I had window places both to Bangkok and further, and it was mostly during daytime...

Instead of flying above Rhodes and then towards Iran, as shown in on-flight map, Boeing 777-300 of Thai Airways took more nortehrn route and crossed Turkey accross, to my surprise.

This is Anadolia, I think (by timing)
tw1

and then came this, what could be Ararat, but I am not sure, as it could also be Kizlar Sivirisi...I made the photo when I realised this is not Syria, which I expected to see below at that moment (I realised when I saw the Black Sea shoreline and then the fires of the Kaspian sea oil fields).
tw2

After this was night, with usual few lights of Turkmenia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. So, after the short stop in Bangkok, these are the rugged lands of Thailand
tw3

and here we meet the South China sea
tw4

This flight was as lecture of geography, here is very edge of Indochina peninsula:
tw5

In the horizon above the Taiwan strait is the PRC, Mainland China. High time to go there once!
tw6

Behind the hill is Taipei,landing soon!
tw7

The first task when in Taiwan was to get better insight in Taipei. It was the first time that I spent almost month in Taipei, so I saw some parts I failed to see last times, and also I visited some typical surounding spots for Taipei people.

Usual look of the Howard International single room, for you just to get an idea-it costs usually 2500 NT$ (~60eur), ASIAA got it for me for 1700NT$. Considering that it is Taipei...and 5 min walking from Physics dpt. in NTU campus, it was for sure the best location for me.
tw8

Taipei is surounded by mountains-only hour drive out of the city (by bus), behind Beitou, can bring you to the serene landscape of Yanmingshan national park. With my personal guide we went to Jhuzinhu area.
tw

This is the real jungle area, gardens are rich, everything GREEN
tw10

This was one weekend, the next one I decided it is time to finally see Danshuei, harbour part of Taipei, and, sure, the famous Night (and day, I would say) market there. Trip is by MRT,Taipei metro, which pops out for this last part
tw11

And then by small boat
tw12

Yes, I was there:
12

and behind me is the taiwan Strait
20

One usual pic from the streets of Taipei
32

and one unusual
tw20

As I said once before, religion in Taiwan is alive
tw21


During my last stays in Taiwan, even during the long one (half year), I did not manage to swim in Pacific. I decided to correct this failure, so we went for Fulong, which ChiC, one dear friend, said is the closest good place for swimming. It is less than 2 hours by train accross island, and it is magnificent beach. U can swim, U can surf! We started from this temple on the very beach (in the toilet of it we changed to swimming gears)
tw16

On my 2nd swim I saved the...shark!:-D U can see I am HAPPY! Notbecause of shark, but because of decent swimming there, finally! Water was around 30 cels, I think (outside was 35 at least!), I tried to find some colder stram but there were rarely some-waters in the places which Taiwanese use for swimming are shallow, you can stand. It sems other places are considered VERY dangerous-in some of my next posts you will realise it is probably true: ocean waves were quite big force even on this safe beach, if there'd come some serious one it would not be too pleasant encounter!
17

The beach is ideal!
tw18

It is formed in the entrance of a river into the sea
tw19

If you proceed straight south here, the next shore is...Philippines! If eastwards, you hit the middle of Mexico.
tw22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home