Sunday, May 08, 2005

Ku Chi!

No, I do not want to go home (as the title, if you read in Croatian would suggest), I just in dismay watch in http://english.hccg.gov.tw/02/12/12-88.htm that they wrote it some new way. I saw at least 4 ways to write it today: Qu Qi, Gu Qi, GauQui or so. Street to lead to it was, changing constantly: Gao Cui, Gaofsui, the other Gaofong or Gaufung or Gao feng Rd, or and some other names I do not remember. I can tell you I learned the Chinese characters and went after them. This way I will really soon learn it!

Not far away from my place, but damn high for the bicycle on 30 cels, is the place where I will return often when here, I think. In the last post I wrote about 'Confucius statue' on the top of the hill, and promised to go closer. So I went to search for it today. And still can not shut my mouth properly. It is quite dangerous to play 'culture game' in China, you could be surprised, it IS a long and stunning history which they can present to you. It makes one feel numb after a while, so I took a small dose today, but will certainly come for more.

I would like to have had here Ms. Ducakijevic, my magnificent teacher of Art in the secondary school in Varazdin, she would have good fun.

So, the statue was not "Konfucius or so", it is Buddhistic. Marshal Guan's statue, 120 meters high, under (or rather inside) which is located Pu Tian Temple. At least that is info which you can find in the net. But I would give to it rather 20m, as is written in the Lonely Planet, and there is also written that it is Guanggong, war god. This much about reliability of the informations here. I will search further, sure. But now I will do it as a real tourist guide, for all of you: When I finally found the place, at once I was greeted by this special Chinese sense of syncretism:
kukiulaz


And the big guy itself is worth seeing closer:
kukivelki

Inside the statue should be-according to Lonely Planet-collection of art, but it did not seem to be opened at the time when I was there. I saw the stairs inside the temple, which is below the back of the big man. Temple is crazy as usually they are here, full of deities and colors and scents, but pics from it some next time, it was sunday afternoon and quite a crowd inside, I do not like to play "Japanese" with my camera inside such places. Near the big one is few of the smaller temples or just rooms for "smaller" deities. One (right side below in the pic above) for three buddhas is here:
kukibude

And it is guarded by this beautiful thing, made of the roots of the tree:
kukicuvar

All around the big statue is park with thousands of statues, but not only buddhistic, Egiptian or so, no, there is even...yes, that is the Dame from New York, and around are some Greek guys also, I think I saw statue of Nelson also. Kitchy, but place is crazy and you could wander there for hours and have fun.
vrtkuki

Under the courtyard of the big temple is (part of the?) collection of Chinese (not so ancient) art which you could not believe they'd gathered in such place. This one is classical thing,
kukipunoruku

but inside you can find also magnificent wood-carvings (my younger uncle would love this one! Goran and Spela, show it to him!)
drvenihram

Marionettes are magnificent in China, these are classical examples:
lutke

Inside you can find stuffed animals and Chinese vases and lots of other stuff, but this I left for the next wanderings there.

In the garden are other temples, I found one empty at the time, so I took some pics:
velijoze

These temples you enter not from the front, but from the side doors. In front of the deity from above, is a "guard", represented in big, grotesque figures, which reminded me to Kurenti in Stajerska (Steiermark) part of Slovenia:
fasnik

Right from the main "altar" is this small one, it is the usual appearance of such smaller altars.
klasik

I have to check, but this is probably some other deity, as you can imagine in Buddhism. Generally these temples on that hill are for the people who want to pray for the success in business or so.
There is one hangar full of the wooden, stone, jade etc. figures near the temple...literally hundreds of them. It is so full that they have such 'rubbish' in the garden, under the open sky:
smetliste

Yes, this in the background is tens of them one near another, and this is just small part of the garden which is all around the temples.

As I said, I think I will often visit the place, especially as it is in the road to the backgrounds of Hsinchu, in the hills towards the 3km mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home